PLMR is a successful, fast-growing communications agency with a dynamic, vibrant team that works across a number of high-profile clients to deliver public affairs, public relations and digital solutions for its clients.
As an Account Executive, you will be a key member of PLMR’s multi-award winning Health and Social Care Team, providing high quality servicing to our clients that operate across the healthcare sector. We have a particular focus on the social care sector and are widely regarded as the ‘go to’ expert communications firm for social care operators of all sizes, care settings, and care needs.
Following the Government’s announcement to introduce the Health and Social Care Levy, a White Paper that received a luke-warm response from care providers, and the sector struggling with chronic recruitment, retention, funding challenges, this is a critical period for many of our clients who are the frontline of supporting the most vulnerable in our society.
Whilst there are many challenges, this is also a period of huge opportunity for the most dynamic and innovative care providers, and PLMR is supporting clients across the sector to capitalise on these opportunities for the benefit of the communities they serve. PLMR is investing heavily in a refreshed and expanded Health and Social Care Team, with two new Account Executive roles being created to deliver significant growth and, with it, enhanced career prospects for all team members.
The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in public relations (PR), in how messages are best shaped and communicated across both old and new media, in public affairs (PA) and in the UK political landscape. A strong degree of emotional intelligence is required as much of our work involves directly communicating with those in receipt of care services and their loved ones.
Previous knowledge or experience of the health and social care system is not a requirement, but there will be a strong expectation that the successful candidate will commit to becoming an expert in the sector. Candidates should have a strong thirst for understanding how the sector operates, the policy environment across the devolved nations, the commercial models of private operators, and to identify the communications opportunities that will enable PLMR to best support its clients.
In this role you will learn and develop your PR and PA skills – carrying out research for existing clients and for new business pitching, drafting press releases, monitoring relevant media, liaising with the media on behalf of clients, attending client meetings, lobbying key decision makers, understanding government policy, and contributing ideas to enable PLMR to meet and beat client expectations at every level.
You will work alongside a previous PRCA ‘Young Communicator of the Year’ and ‘Digital Consultant of the Year’, and in a team that won the PRCA’s ‘Crisis Management Award 2020’ and was recognised by influential industry magazine HealthInvestor as its ‘Strategic Consultants of the Year 2020’.
You will be fluent in the use of digital communications channels and the use of social media and blogging as part of an integrated campaign to effectively to further clients’ strategic communications aims.
You will have great written and verbal communication skills, be highly motivated and able to work using your own initiative. You will also have an interest in developing your own networks within both political and media circles.
We are currently working in a hybrid way, splitting the week between working from the office, and working from home. It is expected that successful candidates will be available to be in the London office at least two days per week. A laptop and mobile phone will be provided to enable remote working.
- liaise with clients at a junior level in a confident manner and build good working relationships
- accurately monitoring the media, including newspapers, magazines, journals, broadcasts, newswires, social media channels and blogs, for timely opportunities for clients
- collating, analysing and evaluating media coverage
- preparing regular client reports and attending client meetings
- drafting newsletters, briefings, campaign material, social media posts, blogs and press releases
- researching, writing and distributing press releases and social media posts to targeted media
- working as part of an account team to develop client proposals and implement the PR activity – ensuring we are always ‘adding value’ to our clients
- providing regular timely updates on client issues to senior colleagues
- assisting with event management, including press conferences, digital promotion and physical promotional events
- attending and promoting client events to the media
- responding to requests for information from clients which may be at short notice
- researching, forecasting and evaluating the effects of public policy on an organisation, using public sources, political intelligence and personal contacts – developing an expertise in client sectors and related policy fields
- attending select committee hearings, party conferences and other events on behalf of PLMR
- establishing and maintaining two way communication with relevant official bodies: with politicians, civil servants, and/or staff in local authorities and regulatory bodies to brief them on clients’ work and concerns
- using social media and digital channels to manage clients’ key messaging and enhance the reputation of PLMR and its clients
- providing regular copy for the PLMR website – blogging, case studies, features, comment
- proof read all written material
- promoting a positive, professional image of PLMR as a market leader to external audiences through networking and representing the company at events and online
- providing updates on new business leads regularly to other senior colleagues – e.g. written notes from events or seminars, follow up emails to contacts made, pointing out online networking opportunities
- relationship building and networking with colleagues, clients and the media
- assisting senior colleagues with drafting new business proposals of the highest standard to win new business
- actively participate in meetings, helping in the preparing for the meeting and in presenting elements as directed
- completing accurate daily timesheets
- providing information for invoicing and cost recharging to the finance department in a timely manner as requested
- developing a positive professional relationship with PLMR colleagues, and contributing to a thriving day to day working environment
- meeting internal deadlines – being organised and punctual
- developing a personal professional reputation as a reliable, competent consultant
- maintaining a strong interest in current affairs, particularly involving the health and social care sector
- acquiring new communications and public affairs skills and learn about parliamentary, regulatory and media environments
- developing personal expertise in all aspects of the health and social care sector
- developing personal expertise in digital communications channels
- meeting personal development objectives set by line manager
Skills / attributes required
- educated to degree standard or able to demonstrate appropriate work experience
- excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to conceptualise, analyse and write persuasive arguments
- highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative
- a can-do attitude and a passion for achieving results
- experience in executing messaging on social media and other digital channels to support strategic communications goals
- flexibility – capable of juggling more than one task/client at the time and prioritising work load accordingly
Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
At PLMR we are committed to reflecting and representing the diversity of the UK and to equal opportunities in employment. The policies and practices of the agency aim to promote an environment that is free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity and inclusion of all people. At the heart of our policy, we seek to treat people fairly and with dignity and respect. We therefore encourage and welcome applications from people with a diverse variety of backgrounds; age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.
If you require any reasonable adjustments during the application process, please let us know.